Saturday, February 27, 2010

Progress of sorts..

My cast eventually came off last week so at least now I can walk, well...limp actually, and life is beginning to return to normal again. There's no pain in the joint which is a good sign but I only have about 60% of the normal rotation and no strength in my calf muscle so no standing on my toes just yet.

The next phase will involve lots of physio and it look like it will still be a couple of months before I can get back out for a run. At least no one has said that I won't be able to run again and others who have had similar surgery have shown that running afterwards is possible!!

The other fascinating thing for me is the advent of digital x-ray technology. Historically, it was like asking for state secrets if you wanted to keep a copy of your x-rays. Now it a simple matter of paying €10.16 for a CD of all the x-rays you want (assuming that they're yours of course!!).

So here are the before and after shots...

The damage...


And afterwards...

It's amazing how much orthopedic surgery is just like structural engineering.... just don't tell the doctors... something tells me they think it's much more complex!!

Happy running to all ... I'm there with you in spirit.

4 comments:

RICK'S RUNNING said...

glad to hear your on the mend :]

Grellan said...

Nice set of ankles there Brendan. Recovery look on plan.

Thomas said...

At least you got some cool pics of your ankles. Hey, if you go through airport security with these still in, would you get arrested?

Westley said...

Glad to hear your are progressing towards recovery. Every day is a day nearer your next run rather than another without one.