Sunday, December 14, 2008

Revised Plans

One of the main reasons why I started this Running Diary was to make sure that I didn't skip sessions without a good excuse. It seemed to me that if I had to put down in writing that I skipped a session that would be enough motivation for me to get out and run!! But despite this added motivation the past couple of weeks haven't been the most successful from a running point of view. Non-running commitments have had to take precedence..

My last post reported a double session day. Just as well that I got in that second session as I only managed two other 'easy' runs that week i.e.
4th December - 5.68miles (44:26) 7:49min/mile avg 150bpm (first half 8:10 to 8:25 pace, second half 7:10 to 7:30 pace)
6th December - 5.48miles (40:46) 7:26min/mile avg 153bpm

That brought my weekly total to a sensational 22miles - not even a marathon in a week!!

Week Total (1/12/08 - 07/12/08) - 4 sessions
22.45miles - 2:53:00 - 7:42min/mile - 150bpm

But the past week went further downhill with an earth shattering total of one session, and that was today!!

I went out this morning determined not to get a duck-egg for the week. Unfortunately I only had a half hour window so 5 miles (max) was on the menu. I thought about running easy but since I hadn't run all week I felt like having a minor 'blow out' so the first 3 miles went as 6:50, 6:45, 6:58 and the last 2 were 7:30 to 8min pace. But I felt wrecked at the end of the run which was was a bit worrying. I definetly couldn't have run for any longer at sub-7min pace. Could I really have lost so much fitness over the past week? Other factors could have contributed such as having only 4 hours sleep last night or maybe I've picked up the virus that has been passed between the various family members over the past couple of weeks.

Whatever the reason I've come to the realisation that I won't be at peak fitness for the first 10 mile race after Christmas. So I've now decided that for the remainder of 2008 I'll concentrate on running regularly and building up the miles - something that I really need to do if my distance running is to improve. I'll now concentrate on peaking for the Ballycotton 10 in early March.

On a positive front I've now got some goals for 2009. I sent off my entry for the Ballycotton 10 - hopefully I'll be in the first 2,500 entries opened!! I also entered the 2009 Great North Run. This year the race will be held on 20th September and will hopefully be my third year running this 'great' half marathon.

Week Total (8/12/08 - 14/12/08) - 1 session
4.94miles - 35:23 - 7:10min/mile - 166bpm

3 comments:

Mike said...

I wouldn't worry too much about missing one week - my coach tells me it takes about 10-days to start losing fitness.

Your plan of getting back to a regular running schedule should certainly improve your situation.

Must be tough to get motivated to run through that lousy winter weather out there - good luck!

Thomas said...

Not being at peak fitness at the beginning of January is hardly a problem. But you really need to add a few longer runs to your training repertoire.

You don't want to suffer on that last hill in Ballycotton like you did last year, do you?

bricey said...

Thanks guys. Today's run went much better so yesterday was probably a blip.

Tomas, I agree, regular longer runs (12 - 18 miles) are planned for the coming months. Probably not as long as you though!! :) BTW it wasn't the hill that killed me in Ballycotton last year. My last mile was in 6:40 which was faster than miles 8 & 9 - just not enough training last year - I think I'd only run over 7 miles once in the 3 months prior to that race!!