Tuesday, April 14, 2009

On my knee...

Well after last weeks post I've ground to a halt...literally. Last Tuesday I went for the few easy (7:30+) miles as planned but there it ended!! After about 1 mile my knee was a bit uncomfortable, best described as a stiffness not unlike a twisted ankle feeling (if you know what I mean). By mile 2 with every extension and impact on the knee causing pain I had already turned for home. From the 3 mile mark I was resolved to walking home!! Work related travelling on Wednesday and Thursday and the Easter holiday weekend meant that I decided to defer making any physio appointments until today.

Since last Thursday I've had no pain and at this stage I'd find it difficult to explain the symptoms accurately to a physio so today I attempted another run. My naive optimism hoped that a further weeks rest would be enough to right the problem! Unfortunately rest alone will not solve this one. After about 0.5miles of feeling very good a tightness returned initially on the back outside of my right knee. Quickly, I decided to abandon the run and book a physio appointment. The tightness soon turned to soreness on the side and front of my knee and once again I was walking home.

So, 2 weeks later than I should have I've finally come to my senses and I'm seeing the physio on Thursday PM. More anon....

On the plus side I spent last weekend stuffing my face with chocolate and I've probably gained half a stone!! A good incentive to get back out running sooner rather than later.

6 comments:

Thomas said...

Bugger, I hoped that the rest would have sorted your knee. Good luck with the physio.

Then again, with you hopping on one leg maybe I can beat you again next time.

bricey said...

Thomas .... me too!!

Don't worry one legged or not you can still run much much further than me!!

Mike said...

Wow, 2-weeks and it's still a problem!? Hope your appt goes well.

Have you been running in new/different shoes lately? When I had a serious problem last year, the shoes were the issue.

Richard said...

Textbook what I had two years ago -it should be treatable. You're doing the right thing resting and getting physio although I spent allot of time in my jocks on the physio bench. Time to invest in new jocks Brendan!

bricey said...

thanks for the comments guys.

Mike - no new shoes. I was coming to the end of my old pair (at approx 400 miles) so that may have been a factor. Other than that I'm not sure of the cause there wasn't anything out of the ordinary about the session on the 25th March so I'll have to wait and see if the physio has any words of wisdom (hopefully). No discomfort at all right now so I hope the physio doesn't think I'm making it all up!! :)

Richard, I'll be sure to wear my 'Sunday best' jocks!!

Grellan said...

Best of luck with the physio. Maybe it's a timing thing - You have been building steadily through the winter and had been planning to cut back to consolidate gains before ramping up again for the Great North Run. Perhaps if you had cut back after your Ballcotton peak, instead of waiting for the Cork County Roads you may have avoided injury. Then again hindsight is a great thing.