Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Recovered??

I was still a bit wiped yesterday so I took another day off running but I'm glad to report that the trials of the weekend have now passed and it was business as usual today.

I wasn't too sure how to approach today's run. I wanted to do a bit more than an 'easy' run as I feel that I haven't really tested my current fitness ahead of Sunday's race. I probably should have taken it easy just to make sure that there were now carryover effects from the weekend but alas I didn't. Instead I choose to go for 2 mile intervals over my usual 5.5mile route at sub 7 minute pace. At least that was the plan anyway....

The first mile was steady enough at 6:56 pace (150bpm) over a combination of grass and track in Ballincollig park. On target I was feeling good so I picked up the pace over the second mile 6:36 min (162bpm). At this stage I was still feeling OK, albeit a bit heavy legged (probably from a sleepless night last night) and I thought to myself maybe I should change my original plan and keep this pace going over 5 miles instead of breaking it into intervals. And that's just what I did. The third mile was an uphill one which I covered in a relaxed 6:42min (165bpm). I was still not stressing so I increased the pace over the last 2 miles taking advantage of the downhill terrain 6:14min (173bpm) and 6:03min (177bpm). In all I passed through 5 miles in 32:29 (average 6:29min) which is respectable enough as I wasn't really trying too hard (although I must admit I did work a bit over the last mile!!) and that a couple of seasons ago I was happy with that time in a race!! After a 0.66mile recover I made it back to the office after 5.66miles in 38:02mins. A nice blow out run!!

So what did today's run tell me? Probably not much except that there don't appear to be any ill effects from last Sundays illness and I'm in reasonable shape over 5 miles. Just before this HM race last year I did the same run completing the 5 miles in 32:16 and splits of 6:57(150bpm), 6:40(163bpm), 6:37(166bpm), 6:06(174bpm) and 5:57(178bpm). I actually remember that run last year and despite what the numbers say I don't think I was working as hard today. So I think I'm probably in a similar shape to where I was at this time last year put not yet back to where I was last March.

But what I haven't been able to gauge is whether I have the endurance required to keep a sub 6:45min pace going for 13+ miles. I suppose I'll find out on Sunday!!

Today's run...


ps... I just realised that today is the anniversary of my first ever blog post. Where has that year gone and how things have changed!!

3 comments:

RICK'S RUNNING said...

IT SEEM YOU FOLLOW THOMAS'S APROACH TO TRAINING, IE MAKE IT UP AS YOU GO ALONG!!!Haaa only joking!!!
Looking good on that run, looks like your on for a good half on Sunday, if I was a betting man I'd put money on a 1.22 time or better!

Thomas said...

Happy Anniversary.

Good Luck on Sunday. Relax, after all your usual race mode is to surprise yourself (and me, as in Mallow this year).

bricey said...

Thanks guys...

Rick, I like to keep myself guessing - afterall if you knew what you were doing all the time before you did it life would become very boring!! :)
1.22 hmmm ....that's 6:16 pace. It's a hilly course and I'm concerned about lack endurance so I wouldn't be rushing out to the bookies!!

Thomas - life is full of surprises but sometimes it's better to have prepared fully (like you've done!!)