Monday, May 4, 2009

April roundup

Injuries can really kill those monthly stats. For the first time in over a month I uploaded my Garmin data today and it's grim reading...

1-30 April - 8 runs - approx 26 miles!!

I suppose that's not too bad all things considered. I recorded zero miles for the first week of the month. The second week saw 1No. run (3+ miles), the third saw 2No. runs (4+ miles total). During week 3 I managed 3No. runs i.e. 9+ miles and in week 4 (27/4 to 3/5) another 3 runs and 13 miles in total. A progression of sorts....

The first week in May has started out a bit better. I managed 6.42 miles today at an average of 7:40min/mile (49:20min, 160bpm). The first 3 miles were at about 7:20 pace and felt good but my leg gave out at the 3 mile mark and the pace dropped accordingly into the 8+ min/mile category. Running around 'left' corners was a particular issue for my leg (consistent with the pain being on the outside of my right leg) but interestingly running on my toes seemed to relieve the pain?? On the plus side, the sun was shining so I got to try out my new shades and it was warm so I got to use my 'bottle belt' for the first time. Hopefully it won't be the last!!! Physio tomorrow so I'll see how the rest of the week goes.

Rick posted an interesting link on his blog relating to weight. I know that I'm carrying a few too many pounds and even more following the sedentary last month!! but using this calculator together with McMillan it appears that if I was to loose approx 8 pounds it may get me into the sub 1:20 half marathon territory based on my 10 mile PB. Interesting.... but I think I like food too much - maybe I could train harder instead!! Also 8 pounds would put me back to the weight I was when I was 18!! Achievable.... hmmm.... some 'food' for thought.. (apologies for the bad pun!!)

4 comments:

Love2Run said...

Or you can train harder and eat all the food you want without gaining any more! Hope you can work this injury thing out soon. Too much too soon maybe? Your cardio system got ahead of your musculature?

bricey said...

Mike, your probably right (on both counts!!). Good to see that your recovery is coming along nicely. Next target??

Thomas said...

Rick sent me that weight calculator, too. I'd love to cut minutes off my time and still run the same effort, but Niamh's baking and cooking skills mean that running harder is probably the more realistic route to success.

I can't remember if I run so that I can eat, or if I eat so that I can run.

Richard said...

That calculator makes me realise that I'll plug away for a long time to come. I need to loose about 25lbs to get down to 150lbs. I think I'd look like the 15 year old me if I did that. My wife thinks the running is out of control already. If I drop a stone and a half in weight she'll have me sectioned!