Sunday, May 17, 2009

End of week update

Four days in a row this week and a long run today gave a total of 35.90 miles (4:26:16 -avg 7:25min/mile) this week and 'touch wood' my IT Band issue appears to be settling.

On Thursday I ran 5.6 miles @7:13 pace (40:23 mins) and on Friday it was an easy 5.67 miles with Grellan in 44:56mins (7:56 min/mile) - thanks for Grellan for making sure I stuck to my 'easy' plan!!



I decided not to push my luck and rested on Saturday. But...this morning a 6:30am feed for Joe and by 7am my running shoes were on. The sun was shining and the form reasonably good. I think that I must have been still asleep 'cause I decided to start on the Monkstown loop which although it would be a nice run by the waterfront it meant that I would have to complete at least 12 miles - whether my IT band held up or not!! And despite a niggle at around 4 miles (which lasted for the remainder) the run was largely trouble free from the IT band point of view. But.... by 7 miles I could feel a blister growing on my left heel (obviously I haven't run enough lately and my feet have gone soft!!). By mile 10 it had burst (ouch) and was now sore so I took it very easy for the rest of the run. In all an 'easy' 12.64 miles in 1:37:08. That's an average of 7:41mins/mile (the first 10 miles averaged 7:33min/mile). The blister issue is a worry - last time it took 2 weeks of no running to clear it up!! We'll see how next week goes.

8 comments:

RICK'S RUNNING said...

try a compeed blister pad on your foot, works wongers, no need to stop running!

RICK'S RUNNING said...

opps! meant to say works WONDERS!

bricey said...

Thanks Rick. Yeah that the plan. Hopefully it will work wongers (!!) - last time they kept coming off during the run though!!

BTW thanks for the link - I'll have to give it a go!!

Brendan

Grellan said...

Nice long, blister excepting. The weekly total is steadily rising.

Grellan said...

"run"

Mike said...

Nice to see the mileage coming up. Looks like the comeback is well underway.

Thomas said...

I can't help but spot a slight difference in Grellan's description of said run. You say "easy", he mentions "rising intensity".

Compeed blister pads work wonders.

RICK'S RUNNING said...

MICROPORE TAPE also works quite well to!